We are fairly certain you’ve heard this before: Tobacco is a leading cause of death and illness around the world, killing nearly 6 million people a year—5 million of whom are direct tobacco users and more than 600,000 are those exposed to second-hand smoke. This is precisely the reason why the World Health Organization (WHO) finds the need to highlight the health risks related to tobacco use and advocate for effective policies to greatly reduce tobacco consumption worldwide. Every year, they’ve marked a date for the World No Tobacco Day movement, and it happens every 31st of May.
Yeager Insurance joins WHO in their advocacy, and wish to help educate everyone about tobacco and its harmful effects to one’s health. Did you know that tobacco use caused 100 million deaths in the 20th century, and may cause about one billion deaths in the 21st? There are a lot more information you might not have heard. Take a look:
DISEASES CAUSED BY TOBACCO USE
○ Heart disease (coronary artery disease, increased risk of heart attack and stroke)
○ Cancer (lungs, larynx, pharynx, oesophagus, liver, etc.)
○ Chronic airway obstruction
○ 5 million deaths per year, worldwide; projected to rise to an annual 8 million deaths by 2030 according to current trends
○ In the United States, smoking is held responsible for one in five deaths (resulting to about 443,000 deaths per year, 49,000 of which result from second-hand exposure)
○ On average, smokers die 13 to 14 years earlier than nonsmokers
If you are a smoker who wants to quit or know of someone who does, how do you begin? Lots of research has been done with this objective in mind, resulting in a lot of products and programs that promise to help one kick the habit, most of them readily available to the public. Reader’s Digest has published a helpful article on the subject that you might want to read and ponder. Help keep the world smoke-free! Happy World No Tobacco Day!
Yeager Insurance & Financial Services is an independent insurance and financial services agency serving West Virginia. To learn more about how we can serve your insurance and financial needs, please contact us at (304) 757-3900. You may also use this site to submit requests for insurance quotes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.